A few questions

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Hi, I've got a few questions about BEPUphysics and the engine in general. I'll go through them one by one.

I noticed on the PhysicsTestScene that boxes can penetrate each other by a pretty large margin. I tried changing it by using
BEPUphysics.Settings.CollisionDetectionSettings.DefaultMargin = .004f;
BEPUphysics.Settings.CollisionDetectionSettings.AllowedPenetration = .005f;
But that doesn't seem to change anything, as seen here in this photo:

I also noticed that boxes, when on top of another dynamic entity, do not move when the one below it moves. It also reacts a little weird. When they are over the edge by over half, they still do not fall. I have never ran into this problem when using Xen or my own graphics setup. So I have no idea what to change in this case.

Also, while I am here, I wanted to ask about the shadows, they don't seem to match up with the objects.

Thanks so much for all the help. I am really enjoying the engine so far, it's great!
Coordinator
May 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Sorry for the delay. I was taking a big and deserved break from the project because of the changes in my life, positive changes by the way, a new work in a another country.

I presume that this are problems related completely to the Bepu Physics API and I do not know much about how it works, sorry. I will ask to the guy in charge of the physics integration what he thinks.
May 11, 2013 at 4:51 AM
Edited May 12, 2013 at 12:46 AM
jischneider wrote:
Sorry for the delay. I was taking a big and deserved break from the project because of the changes in my life, positive changes by the way, a new work in a another country.

I presume that this are problems related completely to the Bepu Physics API and I do not know much about how it works, sorry. I will ask to the guy in charge of the physics integration what he thinks.
Thanks, I've made a thread on Bepu's forums, asking essentially the same thing. You can find it here.

Edit: Norbo mentioned that there was a bug with entity deactivation. Updating to the latest Bepuphysics was seamless and seems to have fixed the error related to objects acting funny.

I also changed the red rectangle to use impulses instead of transforming the location directly. Norbo has mentioned that changing the transform can lead to "squishy" physics due to teleportation.

I am still having problems with shadows. Both the fact that they don't match up correctly and there are some artifacts. I made a thread about it here a few days ago.

Thanks for your time and I hope you had a good time on your break. Also congratulations on your new job!