How does one launch the editor?

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:36 AM
Might be a stupid question, so forgive me if so, but how does one launch the editor? I'm fine coding in VS2010 but would like to play with the editor and can't seem to find an exe to launch it or some way to launch it from VS2010. May just be missing something that's in front of my face. Awesome engine by the way. Been using Unity for a couple of years, used XNA before that, and so having Final Engine as a somewhat bridge is fantastic.
Mar 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Open EditableScene.cs and you will see the following comment:
/// If you want to work with the XNA Final Engine Editor the main scene needs to inherit from this class.
When you figure out how to inherit from the class above, please tell me. I'm not experienced with C#.
Apr 5, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Thanks for the direction. I didn't look that deep into the project.

To answer your question, its pretty easy. To start off with an empty project open the Program.cs file in the Application folder and comment out the default scene it's set to load, which is probably the Lambo scene. Create a new line under it and enter "EngineManager.StartEngine(new EmptyScene(), false);" Now open the EmptyScene.cs file and change the line "public class EmptyScene : Scene" to "public class EmptyScene : EditableScene". Now when you build/debug everything you will get an editor instead of the full game engine.
Apr 6, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Edited Apr 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Thanks, one thing I also had to do is to add a directive to the editor.
Coordinator
May 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Sorry for the delay. I was taking a big and deserved break from the project because of the changes in my life, positive changes by the way, a new work in a another country.

The way to load the editor seems a little awkward but the idea was to create an editor in an upper layer, just like any other application that runs in the engine. This has two important advantages: the engine layer does not increase its complexity and the editor helps to test the engine layer better.

I will add a quick explanation in the documentation.

Sorry again for the delay. Bye. José.
Coordinator
May 10, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Like I promised I have extended the Editor entry:

https://xnafinalengine.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Editor%20Introduction

One quick question: Do you feel that I have to made more clarifications? Thanks.