Animations

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Hi, I have tested other animated model than dude.fbx and found some problems. The first is, that its import only one animation and second is, that there is a problem with importing some bones.

And another question about animated model - how to get model to his biped position? I mean if I don't start animation.

The model which I'm talking about is PlayerMarine.fbx, you can download it here, it's a part of source code for book..
http://www.apress.com/9781430218173
(it's in Chapter 12)

Thanks
Tom

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Hi Tom!!!

In XNA 4 you can import only one animation per fbx file. It is not a limitation of the engine.

The animation system is in development. If you look the code you will find out that it is a… disaster :p I will test the model to see if I find the problem. Give a minute.

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM

In XNA 4 they implemented the fbx processor again, probably the problem is there. It seems that the XNA content processor is not parsing the animation information right.

Exporting models it was and still is a pain in… you know were. If you need the fbx you should load the file in some tool and export it again. Maya seems to export animated models sometimes right, 3Ds Max it depends and I can’t have much luck with Softimage, but it is also possible.

It seems I can’t do much in this particularly case. Sorry.

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Are you sure? There is another project here http://xnanimation.codeplex.com/ and there is more then one animation. I didn't try it, only look to that page.. I'm busy now.

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2012 at 8:31 PM

You can check this in Shawn's blog (http://www.shawnhargreaves.com/blogindex.html)

Btw, my engine has the concept of animations. My animation content processor will ignore the model, the bone information, the materials and textures, you will only have the animation information. Then you attach animations to the object (animation component) allowing to manage better the memory and animation reuse.

Ideally, it should have the two scenerios at the same time (animation content processor and multiple animations per model), but at least it's something.

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Yes, ok. It's not a big problem for me, I'm only surprised.. So I need to change things (in my head) and will export one animation per model. Thanks!

P.S. I think the best sw for animations is MotionBuilder.. But it's hard for me at this time.. I'm using Maya

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Maybe I could improve this aspect in the near future. I don’t like this restriction either but I can’t research too much because my available time is very restrictive, so I’m focusing in other aspects first.

Are you using the source version or 0.9? Because I improved some things in the source version. Like, I said the animation system is temporarily a disaster, but at least a disaster with crossfade animation.

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Yes, I'm using latest code every time :) I don't know if it's important. I have played with animations through that book only, I think - exporting animations separated - is a good idea. Maybe it's harder to compose them to one file (but this is only my speculation, I really don't know what is standard and what is better).