General architecture questions.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Hi!  This looks like a really awesome engine you've got here and I'm really surprised it's not more widely discussed, especially since there aren't all that many comprehensive engines out that include Xbox development.

People who don't have backgrounds in coding, like myself, are especially happy to find things like this.  I've been poking at it for the last day or two and I wanted to ask a few questions about the architecture/approach if I could?

- I never quite did pick up on working with components, with the RemoveComponent command it mentions that they are recycled.  Does this mean it's extending the length of arrays as needed, is it possible to fix a length at load, or would that not do anything?

- For Animated models, is there a way to align objects (swords, guns, flowers) to a particular bone?  Or at least to quickly get the position of a bone (in world coordinates)?

- I was messing around with the lights, trying to see how they work, and could not get them to all shut off?  In each example scene I'd comment out the directional and ambient light components that were added but the seen would still be illuminated.  Is there a default lighting setup in the gameobject3d that I'm missing?

- To update a camera position do you have to use a ScriptEditor object?  I was trying to find the easiest way to just say something like "cam.position.y += 10" or "cam.position = player.position + offset".

- It seems shadows are defined/activated by the light.  Is it possible to do it by object so that, for instance, a player's shadow can be cast on the ground but not every rock and tree that he might move over?  I imagine that'd save a great deal in shadow mapping.

- The position and rotation of a GameObject3d is not read only but scale is?  I see the LocalScale, I guess regular scale isn't needed?

- Any plans to add collision detection of any kind?

- Suggestion: Being able to choose the FOV based on either the vertical or the horizontal would be great.

Again, this is extremely cool so I hope you'll continue working on it.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2011 at 2:43 PM
Edited Dec 8, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Hi! This looks like a really awesome engine you've got here and I'm really surprised it's not more widely discussed, especially since there aren't all that many comprehensive engines out that include Xbox development.

Hi!! The engine is in alpha stage, this is the main reason, in my opinion, for the few discussions. But it is almost in beta, so I think that this will change soon.

People who don't have backgrounds in coding, like myself, are especially happy to find things like this. I've been poking at it for the last day or two and I wanted to ask a few questions about the architecture/approach if I could? 

You could, of course.

I never quite did pick up on working with components, with the RemoveComponent command it mentions that they are recycled. Does this mean it's extending the length of arrays as needed, is it possible to fix a length at load, or would that not do anything?

I still don’t test the component model in a complex scene and I’m still working in the bases, so probably some things changes, both in code and philosophy. Yes, the length is extended as needed. The second is not true, but I was thinking a mechanics to specify the length, at least the initial.

- For Animated models, is there a way to align objects (swords, guns, flowers) to a particular bone? Or at least to quickly get the position of a bone (in world coordinates)?

The animation system is not finished, but I won’t implement a complete system either. I read a lot of animations (I recommend the Jason Gregory book) and I know more or less what can be done and how (at least partially). However, I would only implement the bases; the developer will have to implement the missing parts, at least for the near future.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2011 at 3:14 PM
Edited Dec 8, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I was messing around with the lights, trying to see how they work, and could not get them to all shut off? In each example scene I'd comment out the directional and ambient light components that were added but the seen would still be illuminated. Is there a default lighting setup in the gameobject3d that I'm missing? 

There is always an ambient light. Set a black clear color and set 0 to intensity to disable the ambient light.

To update a camera position do you have to use a ScriptEditor object? I was trying to find the easiest way to just say something like "cam.position.y += 10" or "cam.position = player.position + offset". 

You can.

It seems shadows are defined/activated by the light.

Like real life :p

Is it possible to do it by object so that, for instance, a player's shadow can be cast on the ground but not every rock and tree that he might move over? I imagine that'd save a great deal in shadow mapping. 

No, is not posible, you have to implemented.

The position and rotation of a GameObject3d is not read only but scale is? I see the LocalScale, I guess regular scale isn't needed? 

Good question. I will use the Unity answer (English is not my native language, but I think that you already notice that)

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Transform-lossyScale.html

Any plans to add collision detection of any kind?

Gustavo, my friend, has to do that, unfortunately it lost weeks of work when his hard-drive died (Am I a bad person if I want to kill it?). Also it hasn’t much time to work for personal reasons and for the time being that won’t change. And is very unfortunately because he thinks and begins to code a complete physic system with components and using Bepu as a base physics API.

Suggestion: Being able to choose the FOV based on either the vertical or the horizontal would be great.

Ok, I would think about it. But not now, I have to finish the sound system first.

Again, this is extremely cool so I hope you'll continue working on it. 

:) Thanks!!