Missing DepthDownsamplerShader class

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:43 PM
Edited Nov 14, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I've been following this project for a while and it's come a long way. Nice work! :)

I downloaded the latest version from the check-ins, but it seems the DepthDownsamplerShader class is missing from XNAFinalEngine/Graphics/Passes/01-Gbuffer/ 
I think DepthDownsamplerShader is needed for the GameLoop class, line 404 and 405  

also the FactoryCatwalkRGBM.dds is missing from the ExamplesContent/Textures/CubeTextures/
not sure if it's needed are not. 

Any plans on  Decals, Baked shadows or Dual Texture support?

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Hi Nelxon!!

Thanks !! I followed your survival kit for some time and I was very happy to see my engine in your list and in a time when my engine was very green. It was very motivating and your list helps me a lot to find good projects, tutorials and blogs. Thank you very much!!! :)

About the errors… I will fix it latter (I’m not in my development computer). 4 months ago I re structure the engine to make a game engine instead of a rendering engine with some extras. So I’m continually adding the old functionality one class at a time and sometimes I forgot to add some files with Tortoisehg.

I have plenty of ideas for the near future. I have to finish the new engine structure first, debug it a little, and then I want to get back into rendering!! Months ago I researched decals and Crytek’ radiosity, probably the two main additions for the middle term future. I also have to finish some core shaders (spot lights, light’s cookies, and some other things that I don’t remember right now). I don’t know if baked shadows or dual texture support will be added, but how knows, maybe in two week I’m adding them.

The engine is close to be ready for production, I’m confident in that. The new structure (data and component oriented), the modularity, the XBOX 360 support, the CPU/GPU performance and the rendering technologies has to be tenting for some developers, at least I hope that. It lacks of physics, IA and an editor but everything is prepared with the intention that a developer can add them more or less easily.

This project is a side effect of my post grade thesis, and unfortunately my scholarship ends in July. There is not much time left, I have to “finish” my engine before that. And then I hope can work in the game industry. Any advice?

Bye!!! And again thanks!! José.

Ps: my English is not much fluid. I’m sorry for my grammar.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Your English and grammar is fine - actually its better than mine, LOL

If you are trying to get a job in the game industry you are already on the right path.
I've work for several game companies over the years - They love innovative programmers who strive to push the boundaries of current technologies (which is what you're doing now...)

Finish your Engine and add a few finished indie games, by you or by someone who used your engine, to your portfolio  and you could probably easily get your foot in the door.

Keep up the great work, and good luck on your thesis.

BTW, I checked your traffic stats - I guess I did send a lot of visitors here. :) 

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2011 at 2:05 AM

:) You did.