GUI Features

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:43 PM
Edited Sep 25, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Hi. Your project looks great.

I noticed your UI is based on the now abandoned NeoForce project, which is pretty nice. I spent some time poking through the NeoForce codebase and while it is architecturally very sound, a lot of the actual code was fairly crude and should really be rewritten. I decided not to implement it in my project; it would be nice to inherit all that architecture, but I'd be spending too much time refactoring out the inefficiency and errors.

So my question is: have you put much effort into improving the NeoForce codebase, or are you mainly just working on making it compatible with your work?

One of the main draws to your project is of course the graphical features, but I would be very pleased to also get a full-blown GUI system that was just as well-designed.

Thanks

Coordinator
Sep 26, 2011 at 1:32 PM
Edited Sep 26, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Hi Furiant!

Like I said some time ago:

In the other hand, this version has a lot of important improvements:

The code was partially rewritten and restructured, and the overall legibility was dramatically improved.

Part of the code interface was re-designed.

Commentaries were added.

New controls were added, like the color picker, and sliders.

A notorious performance gain (2X to 3X aprox.)

Some minor bugs fixed.

From time to time I make modifications in the code. For example, a couple of months ago I changed the skin loading from using an XmlDocument to an XDocument and made some general modifications so that it works in the XBOX 360. And I will like to change a lot of other things more deeply, like the input code.

Like you say the Neo Force’s code is no very well programmed. Maybe the best is to start from scratch, redesign the code, but I didn’t have time to spend in this endeavor, so I made a lot of modifications and some redesign. Fortunately, the results were good and I think that it was a significant improvement.

I will upload the new changes in the next commit. The engine is broken right now, but you can see the new user interface changes.

Bye.

Important: there is not gamepad support for the moment.

Sep 26, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Thanks for your reply. I saw that statement elsewhere on the site after I asked the question (haha), but I wasn't sure what some of it meant so I left the question open.

It would be a lot of work to rewrite neoforce from scratch, I agree - especially when you're mainly doing this for the graphics programming. I look forward to seeing what you've done with it!